Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Latest

Okay, yes, I updated the shop today, added a new set of Soft Pink Pearls, but technically this isn't a shop update because, weeell, I was just really proud of the pictures I took today :") and it gave me a new idea for tips!
First I re-did the pix of the True Blue set:





And this is the lastest addition, the Soft Pink Pearls set:




The illustrations are from The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, published by Wordsworth Classics and illustrated by Charles Robinson and Lawrie Taylor. I love how the artwork was so conducive to displaying the jewelry.


So this is my tip of the day! I think this is a good idea for someone who is looking for more interesting ways to photograph their work. The background can be busy, but make sure your item is plain; and vice versa, I don't think this would work if your item is very detailed and intricate, but perhaps a plainer background or something more uniform.

A few notes:

  • Make sure the artwork highlights and brings the eye towards your items. A good way to do this is with curves and angles.

  • Pay attention to the illustration and find the focal points. In my case, the characters are either looking at a specific point or indicating towards a space, so that is where I put my items.

Best wishes and happy photographing!

1 comment:

High Desert Diva said...

I like the way you display your jewelry on the books...and this is an old favorite of mine!




Gluten-free...me too :)